Home Sri Lanka IGP surrenders to Court
Sri Lanka

IGP surrenders to Court

Share
Share

Suspended Inspector General of Police (IGP) Deshabandu Tennakoon has arrived at the Matara Magistrate’s Court, said Sri Lanka Police on Wednesday (19) morning.

Tennakoon’s court appearance is linked to a shooting incident near the W15 Hotel in Weligama on December 31, 2023.

Earlier, a joint operation was launched to arrest suspended Inspector General of Police (IGP) Deshabandu Tennakoon, under the direct supervision of the Acting IGP.

On March 17, the Court of Appeal dismissed the writ petition filed by Tennakoon, in which he sought an interim injunction to prevent the execution of the arrest order issued by the Matara Magistrate’s Court in connection with the shooting incident. Subsequently, the Court of Appeal ordered the CID to take immediate steps to arrest and present Tennakoon before the court.

The ruling was delivered by the Court of Appeal bench, comprising Acting President of the Court of Appeal Mohamed Lafar Tahir and Justice Sarath Dissanayake, who announced that the petition would be dismissed without a hearing. The petition had been taken up for consideration on March 12, during which Tennakoon’s legal representatives requested an interim injunction to stay the arrest warrant issued against him.

Meanwhile, Tennakoon’s legal representative submitted a motion yesterday to the Court of Appeal regarding the petition, requesting permission to submit additional documents related to the case. This motion was filed ahead of the appeal decision on his writ petition.

Additionally, an agreement was reached between the Attorney General (AG) and the legal counsel of the suspects implicated in the 2023 shooting incident near a hotel in Weligama. In this regard, the AG issued a special notice on March 16 regarding the order to arrest Tennakoon and six other suspects in connection with the incident.

As per the agreement, the AG directed the CID not to arrest the Officer-in-Charge (OIC) of the Colombo Crimes Division (CCD) and five other accused individuals, excluding Tennakoon, who was wanted in connection with the incident and had been absconding.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Sri Lanka

Trump’s new tariff is a shock & unbearable – Handunnetti

The 44 per cent new import tariff imposed by the US on...

Sri Lanka

Powerful ex-minister to be arrested?

A former powerful minister will be arrested in connection with the more...

Sri Lanka

Industries Minister downplays impact of US tariffs

The 44% tariff imposed on Sri Lanka’s exports to the US under...

Sri Lanka

The eighth 7-star hotel in the world is being built in Teldeniya, says Nalin Hewage

Deputy Minister Nalin Hewage stated that there are only seven seven-star hotels...