Home World UN reports 875 Palestinians killed near Gaza aid sites in six weeks
World

UN reports 875 Palestinians killed near Gaza aid sites in six weeks

Share
Palestinians sit around bodies of relatives killed in Israeli fire at a food aid distribution point set up by the privately-run Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) on the Salaheddin road, at Al-Awda hospital in the Nuseirat refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip on June 24, 2025. Photo: AFP
Share

The UN rights office said on Tuesday it had documented at least 875 deaths over the past six weeks near aid distribution sites in Gaza operated by the U.S.- and Israeli-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), as well as convoys run by other relief organisations, including the United Nations.

The majority of those killed were in the vicinity of Gaza Humanitarian Foundation sites, while the remaining 201 were killed on the routes of other aid convoys.

The GHF uses private U.S. security and logistics companies to get supplies into Gaza, largely bypassing a U.N.-led system that Israel alleges has let Hamas-led militants loot aid shipments intended for civilians. Hamas denies the allegation.

The GHF, which began distributing food packages in Gaza in late May after Israel lifted an 11-week aid blockade, previously told Reuters that such incidents have not occurred on its sites and accused the U.N. of misinformation, which it denies.

The GHF did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the latest UN figures.

“The data we have is based on our own information gathering through various reliable sources, including medical human rights and humanitarian organisations,” Thameen Al-Kheetan, a spokesperson for the U.N. Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, told reporters in Geneva.

‘Inherently Unsafe’ Aid Model

The United Nations has called the GHF aid model “inherently unsafe” and a violation of humanitarian impartiality standards.

The GHF said on Friday it had delivered more than 70 million meals to Gaza Palestinians in five weeks, and that other humanitarian groups had “nearly all of their aid looted” by Hamas or criminal gangs.

The Israeli army previously told Reuters in a statement that it was reviewing recent mass casualties and that it had sought to minimise friction between Palestinians and the Israel Defence Forces by installing fences and signs and opening additional routes.

The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has previously cited instances of violent pillaging of aid, and the U.N. World Food Programme said last week that most trucks carrying food assistance into Gaza had been intercepted by “hungry civilian communities”

(With inputs from Reuters)

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
World

US court rules many of Trump’s global tariffs are illegal

A US appeals court has ruled that most tariffs issued by US...

World

European leaders outraged after Russian strikes kill 23 and damage EU’s HQ

The head of the European Union’s executive Commission, Ursula von der Leyen,...

As humanitarian conditions continue to worsen, the pope begged ‘for a permanent ceasefire to be reached’.
World

Pope demands ‘collective punishment’ end in Gaza as 10 more die of hunger

Latest deaths announced by Gaza health ministry bring starvation toll to 313,...

Shipping containers are stored at APM Terminals, in Navi Mumbai, India, February 28, 2025
World

US raises India tariffs to 50 percent over Russian oil purchases

Washington’s move to double tariffs on many Indian goods poses a huge...