By The Pulseline News Desk
The number of skeletons recovered from the Chemmani mass grave site in Jaffna has risen to 565, with the Government saying further action in relation to the excavation and investigation will be taken in accordance with directions issued by the courts.
Cabinet Spokesperson, Minister Nalinda Jayatissa has said eight skeletons and one bone were recovered during excavations on Monday (17), bringing the total number of skeletons recovered so far to 565. A further 45 bone fragments have also been recovered from the site.
Speaking to journalists on the progress of the investigation, Jayatissa has said the current phase of excavations would continue until Wednesday (19), with all findings being reported to the court.
The discovery of hundreds of human remains at Chemmani has renewed public attention on one of the most sensitive unresolved issues linked to Sri Lanka’s wartime past. The scale of the discoveries has also intensified calls for a comprehensive and transparent investigation into the identities of the victims and the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
Questions were also raised at the Cabinet media briefing over photographs released from the excavation site. Journalists pointed to what they described as apparent indications that some of the victims may have been killed in an inhumane manner and buried without clothing and sought an explanation on whether such evidence would form part of the formal investigation.
The Government has, however, maintained that the excavation process and subsequent investigative steps must proceed through the legal process, with evidence and findings being placed before the court.
Another issue raised was the reported claims of convicted former Sri Lanka Army Lance Corporal Somaratne Rajapakse, who has reportedly said that he could provide information on other locations where human remains may have been buried.
Journalists questioned why authorities had not yet taken steps to obtain information from Rajapakse, particularly given the growing number of remains being recovered from Chemmani.
Responding to concerns over the pace and scope of the investigation, Jayatissa has said further action would be taken in accordance with court orders and that witnesses would be called at the appropriate stage.
The Minister has stressed that the Government remained committed to transparency and wanted the facts surrounding the Chemmani site to be made known to the public.
The continued recovery of human remains has placed renewed focus on the need for forensic identification, the establishment of the circumstances in which the deaths occurred and the identification of those responsible, where evidence supports such findings.
For families of those who disappeared during the conflict, the excavation has also raised hopes that the recovery and identification of remains could provide long-awaited answers.
With the current excavation phase scheduled to conclude on today (19), attention is now likely to turn to the findings presented to court and the next steps ordered by the judiciary. The Government’s response to the Chemmani discoveries will therefore be closely watched as calls grow for a credible, transparent and legally sound investigation into the site.
Leave a comment